Family Pics

Just saying the words "family pics" gets me sweating. What do we all wear? How do I make us look cohesive but not too matchy-matchy? Where do we take them? How do we actually get the pics snapped when my 5-year -old never stops moving? 
The list goes on.  So I want to share a few ideas I came across this year to make life easier.







Color Palette
First, consider the colors you love. I'm obsessed with everything farmhouse, black and white and plaid this year. I went on the hunt for inspo and came across a gorgeous, dreamy soft black and white over-sized plaid fabric, which I quickly snatched up. We used it to create our Peggy Plaid Collection, which includes a playful bohemian style girl's ruffle dress (Peggy Plaid Dress).







I coordinated the rest of us all around that dress. Because isn't it always about THE DRESS?




Since the Peggy Plaid Dress has a larger pattern, I chose to go simple--grey and denim neutral--with my husband and I's wardrobe. I found a cute off-the-shoulder grey sweater at Forever 21 and got a thermal sweater for him at Target. For my boys, I went with solid white T-shirts and flannel shirts with another black and white plaid pattern. Their pattern was smaller and more solid than the Peggy dress, so it worked well together without being to matchy matchy. Mixing solids with patterns and textures is a great way to go.

Location, Location, Location
Next, it was time to figure out where to take the pics. We needed something easy to get to. Somewhere the kids could roam. And someplace scenic. A park was an easy choice.
I did some research and discovered Casper's Park in San Juan Capistrano, CA. The area has a fabulous, rustic red water tower and wind mill, wood fencing and brush. It was a great backdrop for the black and white, and a fun spot for the kids to roam without the worry of cars, or anything too breakable. We packed some drinks and snacks and were on our way.



Don't Forget
When you are photographing kids, snap fast. We knew with having three active littles that they'd get restless quick, so our set-up was minimal and our poses simple. We also made sure they were full and happy before we started our shoot. 





So have fun with your own pics this year and share them us. Follow @shebloomgirls and tag us at #shebloom. 
What is your favorite spot? xoxox Jen Zerrer


Comments