On the Hunt at Junk in the Trunk

I hit the road today and headed up to Junk in the Trunk Vintage Market.
What a cool little show.
There were about 97 different vendors showing off all things chippy, vintage, handmade and more.
It was held at the Pomona Fairplex from 9 am to 4 pm on Saturday (early birds could get in at 8 am for $25) and Sunday, Feb. 25 (no early birds). General admission was $8 per person.

Junk Style Design booth @junkstyledesign

We arrived about 10 am and there were lines to get in, but they moved quickly.
Right inside was the first photo opp: the neon Junk in the Trunk sign on a black-and-white striped backdrop.
My mom and I couldn't resist and had to jump right in front (note to self: next time wear a hat to hide crazy morning bun).

Photo Op at Junk in the Trunk Vintage Market @junkinthetrunkvintagemarket

Then off we went down the aisles. The vendors did a fabulous job bringing their spaces to life. There was lots to see, from vintage cars to gorgeous table vignettes.


California Booth Bus @californiaboothbus



Perspective Design had the coolest metal and wood signs, and candle pillars. Intermix them with vintage bottles, candles and some garden blooms on your table and you have a fresh spring look.

Perspective Design booth @perspectivedesign

Speaking of signs, there were many to be had there. I snapped a couple shots of my favorites.
I absolutely loved the "Work Hard and Be Nice to People" sign done with an old window frame. 
That saying is something I tell my kids all the time, and it's how I grew up, watching my parents lead by example.



Sign at Perspective Design booth @perspectivedesign

This quote from Peter Pan equally spoke to me. "Come with me, where dreams are born and time is never planned." I love this idea of dreaming the day away with no restrictions, no time table, no pressure. There is such freedom in being spontaneous and yet sometimes it's the hardest thing to do within the structure of our busy days!

And this brings me to another fabulous sign, Home Sweet Home. Is there anything better after a long day out, or a vacation? 

Junk Style Design booth @junkstyledesign


Also, see those Pussy Willow stems in the upper lefthand corner of the pic?  These were a hot seller.
The booth had a giant cart filled with those flowers for sale and by the time I went by to get mine 3 hours after show start they were completely sold out. Apparently, Pussy Willows will stay looking fabulous if you DON'T water them. Now that's my kind of low maintenance flower.

Hunting for inspo is probably the funnest part of Junk in the Trunk.
I came across some fabulous ladders at Through the Porthole's booth (@throughtheporthole).
These were a great size to prop on a wall with some blankets, or hang sideways above a bed.

Ladders at Through the Porthole booth (@throughtheporthole)
I also stumbled across this vintage playhouse for a little girl's room, or a garden room/craft room at your house. It was adorable if you had the right spot for it.


Unique frames were also among the treasures. Layer these on a wall without photos to add some texture and interest. You could also string a bottle from the top and hang flowers in the center.



I also loved this idea of using pieces of reclaimed wood and mini clothespins to showcase your favorite photographs. Simple yet super interesting to look at!


Now to the most exciting part. My finds!!!

My first: This super comfy skirt that could also be worn as a dress.



And, drum roll, milk glass! Dreamy milk glass.

I am huge fan of these white, simplistic collectible pieces with the perfect amount of detail. I  have been gathering them ever since I spied a bud vase that my husband's grandfather introduced me to. He was a junk collector aficionado himself, and had a few milk glass pieces he'd found at garage sales. 
I was enamored and over the last 20 years have collected more than 160  pieces, ranging from bowls, to cups, plates, glasses, etc.
So you could likely see my eyes pop from my head when I cruised by Rhinestones n Rust's (@rhinestones.n.rust) booth and saw several pieces for sale.

Milk glass pieces purchased from @rhinestones.n.rust
I scooped a few up that I don't have: a Hobnail top and bowl, two pitchers in the Old Quilt Pattern as well as two fluted serving pieces. Rhinestone n Rust told me that all came from the same estate that she recently did some buying at up in the Fresno, CA area. She also has some 200 more pieces for sale that she'll be bringing to The Great Junk Hunt up in Ventura March 2 and 3 (I think I need another road trip, wink, wink.)




If you're like me and you love learning about milk glass check out this site for some background history. TheSpruce.com gives some great details about the origins and different patterns.

Thinking of heading out to Junk in the Trunk yourself? Let us know about your finds. Comment below!

Plus, tuck these traveling hints in your back pocket:

  • If you are new to the area be sure to put the address, 1101 W. McKinley Ave, Pomona, CA, in your navigation system. If you just use Pomona Fairplex you may not wind up at the right gate. We went for a little joy ride before finally tracking down the right building.
  • There are no big signs indicating you are heading in the right direction for Junk in the Trunk. So, ask the parking attendants, who'll gladly send you to the right gate. 
  • Bring a big bag or a rolling cart to store your treasures and ease the load of carrying. There is a tram that takes you to and from your car to the Fairplex, which is handy after a few hours of shopping.
  • Most vendors have a credit card swiper and accept cash.
  • Check out www.junkinthetrunkvintagemarket.com to find out about other shows and locations.


Best of all, have some fun! 
xoxoxo Jen Zerrer









Comments

  1. Jen, it was so awesome to meet you! You picked out some of my very favorite pieces. Thank you for the delightful write-up! ❤
    Michelle, Rhinestones ~n~ Rust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle!! It was fabulous to meet you too! I loved everything I got and hope to see you at the next show!! Best, Jen

      Delete

Post a Comment